Re: [ietf-dkim] Who signs what

2010-09-16 11:18:23

-----Original Message-----
From: John R. Levine [mailto:johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:35 AM
To: MH Michael Hammer (5304)
Cc: Bill(_dot_)Oxley(_at_)cox(_dot_)com; DKIM List
Subject: RE: [ietf-dkim] Who signs what

here was a (hard won) consensus that a signature by the owner/admin
of a
domain carries more weight than the signature of a 3rd party because
the
owner/admin of the domain controls the domain and the 3rd party
doesn't.

That's not my recollection, but whatever.

That was the thread that resulted in us changing the name from SSP to
ADSP (I was the one who suggested ADSP). Because we tied it firmly to
the RFC5321 From field we ended up with Author Domain Signing Policy
rather than Sender Signing Policy. In between we had suggestions such as
Author Signing Policy (among others).

Sounds like more of a marketing issue than a technical issue to me.

Indeed.  If the owner is myobscurelittledomain.com and the signature
is
from yahoo.com, I know which one I'm likely to pay more attention to.

R's,
John