Re: [ietf-dkim] Who signs what

2010-09-16 16:27:13
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Jeff Macdonald
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:26 PM
To: DKIM List
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Who signs what

How is a piece of software supposed to detect and apply that?  As
soon as you make that > allowance, then one could argue we should also
have a heuristic to say "yahoo.co.uk" and > "yahoo.com" are related and
should share a reputation.

I don't think Steve is saying that you do. I believe the point is that
people equate foo.com and a.foo.com as the same party. In many cases
this will be true. Before I posted my message, I had someone say how
did a.foo.com suddenly become 3rd party of foo.com? That wasn't that
person's understanding of it nor of other folks.

We need to avoid conflating what people do when they see two strings and what
computers can/will do when presented with the same data.

We can't code intuition.  Thinking that we can needlessly complicates our work.

If we want to use new definitions that include specific heuristics about
comparing domains and subdomains, then let's do that.