Re: [ietf-dkim] ISSUE: 3.6.2.1 - Working with other TXT records

2010-10-15 14:15:24
At 08:25 14-10-10, Hector Santos wrote:
I don't think I am suggesting to get into the bad DNS managements
tools.  But the section is short on what are possible error issues.
One of them is making sure other TXT records don't conflict.  I think
that can be a general, generic statement that does not get into poor
DNS management tools implementation.

There are possible error issues which you won't find in the RFCs for
DKIM.  The "wildcard in DNS" is a known issue.  You can catch it by
looking for the "DKIM1" tag in the DNS reply.  If you are going to
get into "fixing" the DNS side in the specification, you are opening
the way to a new set of problems that are better addressed by a
working group which is tasked to tackle DNS issues.  You may, for
example, encounter DNS failures because the primary is not in sync
with the secondaries; or the backslash in the _domainkey DNS record;
or assumptions that DNS queries should always be over UDP.