Re: [ietf-dkim] ISSUE: 3.6.2.1 - Working with other TXT records

2010-10-15 12:21:19
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Barry Leiba
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:49 AM
To: IETF DKIM WG
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] ISSUE: 3.6.2.1 - Working with other TXT records

There is an assumption that people managing DNS zones will have a
basic understanding of DNS.  I don't think that the DKIM
specification should get into badly designed GUIs.

I agree, more generally, that the DKIM spec can't tell people the
right way to manage their DNS records.  DKIM already separates its TXT
records with the "_domainkey" identifier, as SPF does with _spf.  If,
given that separation, people still merge the TXT records and whatnot,
that problem's well beyond the scope of our work to fix.

I appreciate the desire to put more information in there to help, but
we really can't be writing a tutorial on managing DNS records.

+1.  However, I'd be fine with adding some informative guidance to DKIM
implementers reflecting current experience, something like: "The use of
wildcard TXT records in the DNS often result in something coming back from a
query that isn't a valid DKIM key record (and ADSP will encounter the same
thing).  Verifiers should expect this to occur and plan accordingly."

Advice for DNS management packages is possibly useful, but it belongs elsewhere.