Re: [ietf-dkim] ISSUE: 3.6.2.1 - Working with other TXT records

2010-10-15 22:29:34

On Oct 15, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Hector Santos wrote:

Steve Atkins wrote:

I'd think it'd be approximately the same as if the private
signing key (the only other mandatory input I can think of at the
moment) wasn't present.

If it fails, it's broken, I think. There's nothing special about the
From field, other than it having to be one of the signed headers.

The spec says

5.4.  Determine the Header Fields to Sign

   The From header field MUST be signed (that is, included in the "h="
   tag of the resulting DKIM-Signature header field).

That means to me it MUST exist to be signed.

"h=From" for a message that has no From: header when signed
means that the message must have no From: header when the
signature is validated, I think? And 5.4 just says you must include
From in the h= tag, not that it must exist.

A missing From: field makes the message not a 5322 message,
but I'm not sure what that implies for DKIM.

Cheers,
  Steve