Re: [ietf-dkim] despair

2011-04-27 12:22:15
On 04/27/2011 09:45 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Thomas [mailto:mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:31 PM
To: Murray S. Kucherawy
Cc: DKIM IETF WG
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] despair

When you commit a 20 page diff without the benefit of a debugging
pass and dev test, how much confidence do you have in that commit?

I've been keeping up with the specification changes both in terms of the
documentation and the impact of the changes on live source code.  That's
really helped to keep us honest in terms of backward compatibility.

Uh, this completely misses the point. It's not about you or opendkim.
It's about whether somebody starting out fresh would write a dkim
stack that interoperates with it solely from the -bis draft. Given the
rate of change, I don't have a lot of confidence in that. If 4871 were a
mess then this wholesale tinkering might be justified, but it wasn't.

The larger problem is that nobody that actually matters is paying
attention any more. Any bugs introduced here will take years to be
noticed. I had some trepidation about attempting to go to DS and
it has borne itself out.

Mike