Re: [ietf-dkim] despair

2011-04-27 11:47:40
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Thomas [mailto:mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:31 PM
To: Murray S. Kucherawy
Cc: DKIM IETF WG
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] despair

When you commit a 20 page diff without the benefit of a debugging
pass and dev test, how much confidence do you have in that commit?

I've been keeping up with the specification changes both in terms of the
documentation and the impact of the changes on live source code.  That's really
helped to keep us honest in terms of backward compatibility.

At this point, we have no reason to believe that a new implementation
from this draft would interoperate with existing implementations.

It is a useful data point to note that I haven't had to make any alterations to
OpenDKIM as a result of either RFC5672 or the -bis changes.  In fact if
OpenDKIM's library provided a truly strict implementation of -bis, I'd actually
now be compelled to remove some things, which means it would be simpler.  And
on that note, I'll be queueing up some feature requests once -bis publishes to
do just that.