Re: [ietf-dkim] despair

2011-04-26 18:42:51
On 04/26/2011 04:03 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Michael Thomas
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:43 PM
Cc: DKIM IETF WG
Subject: [ietf-dkim] despair

There sure seems to be an awful lot of changes going on for a
supposed draft standard document. I for one can't keep up with
the rate of change, and I doubt anybody else can either. I really
don't care if each individual piece can -- microscopically -- be
justified within the process of draft standard:  I have no way
to determine whether these changes as a whole constitute a
compatible protocol with 4871 or not.

Barry has asked me to prepare a "diff" of sorts that compares RFC4871 with
RFC4871bis so that we can all see the distillation of the proposed changes.
I'll be doing that in the next day or so.

When you commit a 20 page diff without the benefit of a debugging
pass and dev test, how much confidence do you have in that commit?

At this point, we have no reason to believe that a new implementation
from this draft would interoperate with existing implementations.

Mike