Re: CircleID on DomainKeys

2004-10-27 15:03:47

Mike, I'm really not trying to argue with you here.  I definitely think we
need a non-spoofable way around this.  I was trying to point out what I
think is an important use case for how signed mailing list mail can be
handled in the future.

-Rand

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Michael Thomas wrote:

Rand Wacker writes:

 > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, David Woodhouse wrote:
 >
 > > The real problem with DK is that it doesn't survive existing mailing
 > > lists though -- it is common practice to add a few lines to the bottom
 > > of a mail as it's sent to a list, and that practice isn't going to
 > > change any time soon. We really need to use an algorithm which allows
 > > the recipient to locate the original content and verify it, rather than
 > > just breaking.
 >
 > We should think non-spoofable ways around this , but in the long run, if
 > the mailing list changes the message it should re-sign.  Hell I'm in favor
 > of the mailling list re-signing just because I want to be able to reliably
 > whitelist the mail list and not have to whitelist every single person who
 > might post to it.

While we're at it, we might make a strong statement about
world hunger too... I'm rather incredulous that people have
such a cavalier attitude about a major and important use of
email: mailing lists. Telling them to have a flag day will
be about as successful as telling anybody else to have a
flag day. Our goal is to be success here, right? Major
breakage on trivially common cases is *not* a success
vector. We can't provide for every mangler out there, but
that doesn't give us license to ignore all of them. If we
get to the 80/20 rule, we've done as best we can. But
ignoring, oh say, Yahoo Groups is just not an option.

           Mike