Re: Yahoo!'s DomainKeys and Cisco's IIM have merged

2005-06-02 20:54:35

In <20050603033614(_dot_)19632(_dot_)qmail(_at_)xuxa(_dot_)iecc(_dot_)com> John
Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> writes:

                     it will go through and WG will just make minor
editorial text suggestions.

I certainly hope so.  The IETF has an excellent track record at taking
working technology, tidiying up the messy bits, [...]

Is the newly created DKIM really "working technology"?

               It has a fairly poor track record at inventing stuff,
which isn't surprising, since invention by committee has rarely worked
anywhere.

Or, is DKIM simply created by a committee of Y! and Cisco people
(along with unknown others) in a closed environment where people will
not be able to understand the rational or known problems with a
design?

Also, I don't understand what you mean by open source here.  Yahoo has
published multiple versions of its draft spec, they've offered an open
source compatible patent license, and there are multiple free
implementations that interoperate with the proprietary ones at Yahoo
and Gmail.

It is my understanding that the DK patent license is not compatible
with the GPL, and thus runs into similar problems as the MARID
protocol with integration of several popular MTAs.  I confess that I
have not looked into the details of the DK license as closely as the
MARID protocol license.

-wayne