Re: Sieve Vacation and draft-moore-auto-email-response-04

2003-10-29 17:44:44

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 04:01:37PM -0800, Tim Showalter wrote:
I'm wondering if :from should be name, address, or both.

Display names are important to people whose names contain characters
beyond US-ASCII, or who want to indicate roles in the display name

        From: Vacation Autoresponder <jrandom(_at_)domain(_dot_)com> ;

e-mail addresses are important to people who want to direct
replies somewhere.

        From: dont-reply-to-this(_at_)domain(_dot_)com (Jane Random's Vacation
program)

So, I think it needs to be both.

It might even make sense to override the :addresses parameter.
Obviously the implementation doesn't know the correct address
or you wouldn't need to use :from; perhaps vacation should use the
first (or only) argument to :addresses.  (I'm not sure if it
SHOULD, MUST, or MAY; I am inclined to think it may be preferable
to what vacation "knows".)

That would be getting too artful for me.  I'd like the default
to be that the message is sent from the recipient address.

I'd give the sieve implementation permission to copy a display
name from the RFC822 header if the RCPT or ORCPT is repeated in
the To: or Cc: list next to it, but wouldn't use :addresses for
anything but matching.

Jutta