Re: Sieve Vacation and draft-moore-auto-email-response-04

2003-10-31 17:30:37

ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

Ned Freed writes:
> Is there any reason it can't be both?

Not particularly - I just like protocols that make up their mind. Call
it OSI/ISO-induced paranoia.

Personally, I'm more afraid of introducing silly states. What does it
mean when the switch is set to "non-mime" and there are encoded words
present. Or vice versa.

I agree; I think this is likely the right thing to do. I intend to write this up. However I'm concerned about two things.

First, what is an editor client supposed to do when it encounters an encoded-word string? Obviously it could present =?ISO-8859-1?....?= and invite the user to edit it by hand. Perhaps that's the appropriate thing, but I'm worried how such things could be misinterpreted. This is at least consistent with some of the other things we've done, and I think it's the right way to go, though.

I also suspect that some regions expect UTF-8 input in this context to be in a more favored charset on outbound. I think permitting implicit transcoding (or at least not forbidding it) is appropriate.

Tim