Re: Responses to comments on draft-ietf-sieve-editheader-00.txt

2005-05-03 05:44:50

Philip Guenther writes:
Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
Another minor point: If a message is rejected after being modified, which version of the message should be sent to the bounce address, the original message or the one with a modified header?

The one with the modified header. This was covered by the "Actions that create messages..." sentence in section 5, which I'm changing to the "Actions that store or send the message..." sentence mentioned above.

Fine with me.

Please note specifically that addheader/refuse won't use the modified message, though. (Yes, I realize that for all known current implementations, addheader/refuse isn't possible in the first place.)

It could be (I don't know, nor really care) that you should mention that addheader/reject in that order could expose information unintended, so users should be careful where appropriate.

Now for the two ugly issues:

Ned Freed wrote:
I think we need weasel words to the effect that changing the meaning of the MIME structure with addheader may not produce results that actually affect subsequent body or other MIME-related tests.

(Also commented on by Arnt Gulbrandsen and William Leibzon)

Does the following, added after the first example in section 5, give the correct dose of leeway?

Yes.

I'm not entirely happy that people can change message-id et al, but I don't think it's a big deal either. Some people always find means to shoot their lower extremities, and giving them one more doesn't really matter.

Arnt