Re: Updated Sieve notification draft

2005-10-16 11:02:27

Mark E. Mallett wrote:

As for a few specific comments (pared down a little):

   > 1.  Introduction
> > This is an extension to the Sieve language defined by [SIEVE] for
   > providing instant notifications of sieve actions that have been
   > preformed. It defines the new action "notify".

That definition suggests that executing the "notify" action will cause
a notification.
Right. I've deleted the rest of the sentence after "for providing instant notifications".

   > 1.0
> > Sieve interpreters for which notifications are impractical or is not
   > possible SHOULD ignore this extension.

What does this mean... are you recommending that interpreters implement
the extension as no-ops, so that the "require" will work but the actual
notify statements will not?  I mean, this seems to be recommending
something other than the usual thing of having the "require" fail to
operate if the capability is not available.  If all this means is
"have the 'require' fail if the capability isn't available" -- doesn't
that go without saying?
You are right, this is meaningless and I've deleted the sentence.

[...]

The notify action is compatible with itself.

Meaning?

Meaning that multiple executed notify actions are allowed. I've changed the sentence to read:

   The notify action is compatible with all actions.
   Multiple executed notify actions are allowed.