Re: Updated Sieve notification draft

2005-10-16 11:33:08

Michael Haardt wrote:

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 02:53:48PM +0100, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
How about:

The implementation of a notification mechanism may modify the
final message, e.g. truncating it, if it exceeds a length limit,
or modify characters that can not be represented in the
target character set.  The implementation SHOULD keep such
modifications to a minimum.
My current text is:
  The notification method must also specified how Unicode
  characters that that can't be represented by the notification method
  are to be handled. Notification methods MUST be able to represent any
  US-ASCII character with exception of control characters.

Should I just replace it with what you've suggested, or do people feel that the last sentence is appropriate?

IA5, the GSM character set, does not contain a backquote character
(US-ASCII dec. 96).  There goes "any US-ASCII character".  Do pagers
still exist? The devices I remember from the past contained only numbers.
Ok, you've convinced me. I've used your text with minor editorial changes.
I've also replaced the last sentence with:

Allowed modifications should be documented in a standard track or an informational document.