Re: Updated Sieve notification draft

2005-10-17 01:24:07

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 06:07:43PM +0100, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
The case I had in mind is as follows: The notification URI is stored
elsewhere (as an LDAP attribute or an IMAP annotation) and Sieve scripts
uses Sieve variables extension to specify the notification method. Is it
desirable for an unrecognized notification method to cause runtime
error? I am open to suggestions.

People who use notifications usually consider some (or all) mails very
important.  Silently ignoring errors, in particular when variables are
involved and the error only happens every now and then, will make them
think notifications were sent when they were not.  SMS are not reliable
and they may complain about the service.

If I specified some attribute of a message wrong and the message arrives,
I will see what's up.  An error might have been better, but then again,
I may be happy something worked at all.

If I make a mistake and nothing is sent, but I don't get an error either,
I am lost.

Michael