Re: Comments on draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-09 from Eric Rescorla

2006-11-06 12:10:55

Ned Freed <ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> wrote:
As I observed in my original review, I believe you may be able to
construct a loop using the redirect construct. It's not a loop internal
only to the sieve-processing MTA, but that doesn't mean it's not a loop.

First of all, a message forwarding loop is a totally different sort of beast,
one that has no bearing on the computational complexity and difficulty of
processing a single sieve script, which is all we're talking about here.

Well, I think this is a reasonable point, but not one with which I
entirely agree. The larger security question is what the impact of
allowing partly-untrusted users from putting sieve scripts on
one's server is, and this kind of message forwarding loop is relevant
for that.

-Ekr