Re: Comments on draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-09 from Eric Rescorla

2006-11-10 03:30:39

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 07:21:14PM -0800, Ned Freed wrote:
My suggestion is to keep all Received: header fields.  I can't think of
a more effective way to prevent loops.

I guess it would work - although it would probably trip loop detectors
too soon in some cases - but I don't think an appproach that effectively calls
for a message to lie about where it has been is a good idea.

I think we need another mechanisms, probably header-based.

Unless you come up with a widely accepted standard for that, that is
not going to work, because other sites may not evaluate such headers.

Notifications are in a way very similar to redirects, only forwarding not
the original message, but a summary.  In fact many people use redirect
in absence of notifications.

Redirect has the same problem of coming closer to the limit where a
loop is being assumed, but it rarely causes trouble.

Michael