Re: Comments on draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-09 from Eric Rescorla

2006-11-10 04:50:33

Michael Haardt writes:
On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 11:13:22AM +0100, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
"Auto-Submitted: auto-generated" is defined in RFC 3834 section 5. 3834 orders autoresponders to be careful about incoming auto-submitted messages. If similar language is added to the relevant sieve documents, the result should be fine. At least in theory.

Did I just say "a header-based solution won't work unless widely accepted"? I completely forgot about "Auto-Submitted:", thanks for the reminder!

Ah, uhm, widely accepted, ah, uhm... but I rather think Auto-Submitted is the right answer. Some people will of course not check/generate Auto-Submitted, but IMNSHO nothing a Sieve RFC says can make a diferrence to them. (My unfavourite autoresponder is in a package that also says "Date: 31 Nov ..." - until the software starts to obey 822/2822 I don't even dare to hope it'll obey 3834 or Sieve RFCs.)

Arnt