Re: Comments on draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-09 from Eric Rescorla

2006-11-09 20:52:42

A more interesting case arises in the sieve notify extension (currently in
draft). Since this for the creation of an entirely new message that can be
sent
right back to same sieve script, it is possible to construct loops where
each
time around you're dealing with a completely different message with nothing
in
common with its predecessors. This case definitely needs to be looked at
before
notify is standardized.

My suggestion is to keep all Received: header fields.  I can't think of
a more effective way to prevent loops.

I guess it would work - although it would probably trip loop detectors
too soon in some cases - but I don't think an appproach that effectively calls
for a message to lie about where it has been is a good idea.

I think we need another mechanisms, probably header-based.