Re: Spam blowback from Sieve implementations.

2006-11-30 03:25:30

Does anyone think I'm trying to keep the standard from allowing Chris to do what he wants with Sun's implementation? If so that HAS BEEN A MISUNDERSTANDING OF WHAT I'VE PROPOSED.

So far, no one is actually disagreeing with what I proposed in this thread (except for Ken's disagreeing about making "ereject" non-portable) which is good.

Cyrus wrote:
Why are we making a decision in SIEVE WG that MDNs are bad?
I think the general email community has spoken on this pretty loudly, many times, to say that backscatter is bad.
Not in the groupings you frequent?  Really?

Now, not all backscatter is MDNs, but e.g. Justin Mason just said
[Backscatter is] nearly as big a problem as direct spam, nowadays; the
DDOS effects of spam backscatter nearly took down my mailserver this past
weekend. :(
Also, if the Sieve spec stayed as is, but became dominant, then it would lead to a lot more backscatter. It just isn't that popular yet.

Spamcop has a FAQ that asks:
"Why are auto responders bad?" and discusses each type:
http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html