RE: Why we should choose the RFC2821 MAIL FROM/HELO identities

2004-03-31 11:55:21

That's also een mentioned repeatedly.  Is there data to support the
claim?

If not, could we refrain from making it?

Certainly. The vast majority of email users us a commercial client to
read their email, specifically they use Outlook, Outlook Express,
Lotus Notes, Netscape Navigator, Eudora or a Web Mail interface.

Outlook and Outlook Express simply do not support direct to receiever
transmission of email, all the other email clients at least support
routing of email through a gateway as the default option.

The market share of MUTT, PINE, etc. is simply not very large at all.
And the community that uses them is capable of downloading and installing
patches - unless all this OSS speeds innovation propaganda is hokum.

Seriously guys, the geek community is a negligible proportion of Internet
users, less than 1%. The vast majority of Internet users are your aunt
Meg who barely knows one end of the mouse from the other.

These people have worked out how to send mail while they are on the
move. They do not use direct send.

The fact that the proposal is put forth is a tacit admission that the
group views the proposal as a good idea.  In a very real sense, the
group must consider whether the proposal is of merit before releasing
it.

No, the decision on whether the basic proposal is or is not a good idea
was debated at length in ASRG. This is not the forum to re-open that
debate. It is over, done, dead, deceased, passed on, it is no more,
it has ceased to be, it has run down the curtain and joined the choir
invisibule, its a stiff, its shuffled off this mortal coil, it is a
dead argument.

We must be careful to consider that certain use cases
_will_ break, and that others may value those use cases more
than those in this group.

You have to break some china to make this work.

At the moment spam is breaking the whole kitchen and everything in it.
If there is going to be pain during the transition (and there is no
evidence that this is the case) then it is logical to make sure this
falls on the technology oriented community which is most able to cope.

If you have an alternative proposal, make it to ASRG. If you have
no alternative proposal your comments are not relevant. We are
all aware of the points you keep raising, we just do not agree
with them.

Who is this "we" of which you speak?

Those of us who actually want to deploy a DNS based authentication
scheme.

        Phill