Re: Why we should choose the RFC2821 MAIL FROM/HELO identities

2004-03-31 14:39:50

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

The fact that the proposal is put forth is a tacit admission that the
group views the proposal as a good idea.  In a very real sense, the
group must consider whether the proposal is of merit before releasing
it.

No, the decision on whether the basic proposal is or is not a good idea
was debated at length in ASRG. This is not the forum to re-open that
debate. It is over, done, dead, deceased, passed on, it is no more,
it has ceased to be, it has run down the curtain and joined the choir
invisibule, its a stiff, its shuffled off this mortal coil, it is a
dead argument.

The ASRG considered the *basic* idea of using DNS for providing some form of data about MTA/domain relationships as an idea that has merit. Howev, we did not make a judgement as to the details of that idea including which specific identity is better than others, the various implications of that choice, etc. This was left to the IETF to be decided. Therefore, decisions on which identity should be used depending on what breaks less and provides the most benefit, seems to be still undecided.

Yakov