RE: Wild card MXes

2004-05-28 16:22:43

Am I correct in understanding that right now nobody else on this list
is against use of wildcards except Bob from Microsoft (and I suppose
everyone else from same company) and that everybody else on this list
feels that they are important part of dns->email functionality.

Like Bob I just love wildcards to death. In fact I want more better
and more expressive wildcards.

I have yet to see any application for a MARID wildcard that makes
sense. MX wildcards are a 'catch' for mail sent to a machine that
has been deleted or otherwise does not exist.

A MARID wildcard would only act if the NODE did not exist at all.
That means that mail is being sent from a machine with no DNS node.

I though the idea here was putting a stop to that type of thing.

The question here is an engineering tradeoff between support for
a wildcard facility we may not use and the ability to differentiate
MARID records amongst TXT records.