Re: Wild card MXes

2004-05-29 07:34:07

"Bob Atkinson" <bobatk(_at_)exchange(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com> wrote:
It's just that, as I understand things, if we are to accommodate them,
then we need to put our MARID data in the domain's entries itself, not
in a subdomain.

  And defining the relationship is problematic.

  e.g. I own "striker.ottawa.on.ca".  I've had sites get excited over
mail to/from me, because they think I'm a host in the "ottawa.on.ca"
domain, and there are no MX records for "ottawa.on.ca".

  My conclusion is that so far as MARID goes, there is no domain or
subdomain.  There is only a domain name used in an SMTP field, which
MARID checks.  If the MARID record doesn't exist in that scope, then
fall-backs to "subdomains" cannot, in general, occur.

  This means that on or more of the following is probably true:

 - MTA's have to be more careful about the names they use
 - MTA's have to supply a MARID-specific name
 - domains have to publish MARID records per name used by an MTA.
 - domains have to synthesize MARID responses
 - other ?

  Alan DeKok.