RE: Wild card MXes

2004-05-28 15:07:51

I not against the use of wildcards; wildcards per se are wonderful so
far as I am concerned. I've never met a wildcard I didn't like; got
nothing against 'em.

It's just that, as I understand things, if we are to accommodate them,
then we need to put our MARID data in the domain's entries itself, not
in a subdomain. If I'm wrong about that, please let me know.

And it's that that I have a problem with. Using TXT records in the raw
domain level

a. conflicts with any existing TXT information that is there, and

b. will interact very poorly or not at all with the next batch of
information that some future standard might wish to publish about a
domain, building on the precedent and education that we will set about
how to go about doing that.

So I understand there to be a cost in choosing to support wildcards.

I thus am lead to try to understand the actual relative costs and
benefits of doing things one way vs doing things the other. All I'm
trying to do is get real data about this, from actual real world
experience as much as possible.

        Bob

PS: You can keep MSFT-bashing if you wish; I'm used to it. But I truly
am trying to be constructive here.