RE: Wild card MXes

2004-05-28 15:54:05

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 15:07, Bob Atkinson wrote:
And it's that that I have a problem with. Using TXT records in the raw
domain level

a. conflicts with any existing TXT information that is there, and

        Conflicts now, or possible conflicts in the future?

b. will interact very poorly or not at all with the next batch of
information that some future standard might wish to publish about a
domain, building on the precedent and education that we will set about
how to go about doing that.

So I understand there to be a cost in choosing to support wildcards.

        And a cost for NOT supporting them...

I thus am lead to try to understand the actual relative costs and
benefits of doing things one way vs doing things the other. All I'm
trying to do is get real data about this, from actual real world
experience as much as possible.

        From the data that wayne has published, I'd
say that there is some fairly good "actual real world"
data about the impact that using TXT records at the
domain level will have... very little.

        I would be curious to see some data about the
number of domains/sites using wildcards, and what impact
not supporting wildcards would have.

        Ryan

--
HELO, my name is root... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!