RE: Wide-Open MADRID

2004-06-01 06:22:32

 Thank you for all the replies. I am glad we can all understand the
issue. How about a compromise?

4.7 "ip4" and "ip6"

   These mechanisms test if the <sending-host> falls into a given IP
   network.

    IP4             = "ip4" ":" ip4-network [ ip4-cidr-length ]
    IP6             = "ip6" ":" ip6-network [ ip6-cidr-length ]
    ip4-cidr-length = "/" 1*DIGIT
    ip6-cidr-length = "/" 1*DIGIT

    ip4-network    = dotted-quad notation
    ip6-network    = conventional IPv6 notation

   The <sending-host> is compared to the given network.  If they match,
   the mechanism matches.

   If the cidr-length is omitted, the ip4-cidr-length is taken to be
   "/32" and the ip6-cidr-length is taken to be "/128".

   If the cidr-length is included, the resulting ip range MUST NOT fall
   outside of the ip range owned by the publishing host.

   If the cidr-length is included, the smallest cidr-length SHOULD be
used.

While the last two entries I am suggesting are not 'verifiable' using
MADRID, they would help administrators like me fight the good fight and
still be RFC compliant.
 I don't want to get into an argument about the wording. Hopefully if
the wording is not 'appropriate' for the RFC, we can reword it while
still maintaining the root technical idea.
 In fact, I am not even sure if it belongs in section 4.7 :)

Regards,
Damon Sauer