RE: Wide-Open MADRID

2004-06-01 07:07:17

Damon:>
   If the cidr-length is included, the resulting ip range MUST NOT fall
   outside of the ip range owned by the publishing host.

You don't want to argue about the wording... hmm,
I'm not sure why you posted it to the list. I'm going to assume that since
you have posted it to the list, you do actually want people to comment on
it :-) Unfortunately, we don't have anything but the *words* to go on, so
you'll have to excuse me if I concern myself mainly with what I see, as my
psychic powers are not what they were.

1. I'm not sure what you mean by the "publishing host" Do you mean
publisher?
Or "publishing domain"? Or what?

2. IP range "owned"? Is this like "controlled" or "Assigned to the same
entity (or a parent) that has published MARID for this domain"?

3. Does this mean I can't explicitly include the network of someone who
provides me with some mail service?

4. Why don't you want me to be able to say "0/0" if that is an accurate
description of my outbound mail config?

   If the cidr-length is included, the smallest cidr-length SHOULD be
used.

While the last two entries I am suggesting are not 'verifiable' using
MADRID, they would help administrators like me fight the good fight and
still be RFC compliant.

Unless the spec was to prohibit you from applying *any* local policy,
you're still at liberty to do what you like when you see a MARID statement
that's wider than you like. What's the problem? What's the advantage in
writing it into MARID?