RE: Wide-Open MADRID

2004-06-01 09:42:05

--"Sauer, Damon" <Damon(_dot_)Sauer(_at_)BELLSOUTH(_dot_)COM> wrote:

The whole purpose of MADRID is to keep mailers from 'spoofing' where
they are coming from.
It should not allow you to "publish whatever I like" it should REQUIRE
you to publish the most accurate data describing your system.
Garbage in ~ Garbage out. That is what any DB admin will tell you. Allow
spammers to "Publish whatever I like" and the schema will be useless.
Unless you are a spammer, I don't see the complication in requiring the
most accurate data possible.

I would suggest to write this up as a suggestion/best practice rather than a requirement. I think it will get more support that way. For example:

Publishers SHOULD limit the size of the cidr ranges to no larger than the ARIN netblock corresponding to the ASN it is in. If the publisher wishes to allow multiple ASNs to send mail, they should be listed individually.

Receivers MAY reject a MARID record that is "too permissive" according to the receiver's policy. For example, a MARID record that allows an IP range larger than the ASN at the start of the range may be deemed too promiscuous. If the MARID record doesn't meet minimum standards of acceptability set by the receiver, the receiver may choose to ignore the record and proceed with normal non-MARID processing.