RE: Wide-Open MADRID

2004-06-01 07:37:32

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Jon Kyme
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 10:07 AM
To: ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Wide-Open MADRID

Jon :)

1. I'm not sure what you mean by the "publishing host" Do you mean
publisher?
Or "publishing domain"? Or what?

 What I mean is- the entity adding the DNS record.

2. IP range "owned"? Is this like "controlled" or "Assigned to the same
entity (or a parent) that has published MADRID for this domain"?

 This is the semantics I was referring to.
 When I am an entity on the internet, my provider assigns me a range of
IP's.
This range could be just one IP in the case of an ADSL user or many IP's
in the case of a 3rd party provider. ~or~ the ip address range of the
entity providing your mail services.
 The range that I am assigned I now 'own', 'control', 'administrate',
'govern', 'oversee', 'supervise', whatever.
They are MY ip addresses to do what I wish with. However, if adding a
cidr and ONLY if I am adding a cidr to DNS for my SPF record, it should
be stated that I cannot use a cidr that encompass ip addresses that I do
not 'own', 'control', etc.

3. Does this mean I can't explicitly include the network of someone who
provides me with some mail service?

 No, it does not mean that. What it means is that you cannot explicitly
state ~in your cidr~ that the ENTIRE INTERNET provides you with some
mail service.

4. Why don't you want me to be able to say "0/0" if that is an accurate
description of my outbound mail config?

I do not believe that 0/0 is THE most accurate description you could
give.

Regards,
Damon Sauer

*****
it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged
material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 113