RE: Wide-Open MADRID

2004-06-02 01:11:33

Damon:
The whole purpose of MADRID is to keep mailers from 'spoofing' where
they are coming from.
It should not allow you to "publish whatever I like" it should REQUIRE
you to publish the most accurate data describing your system.

No. The primary current use case for MARID is to "to allow recipient
MTAs to confirm that peer MTAs' actions are authorized by
specific domains or networks"

Say I, as a *domain*, using some kind of 'forward' MARID, authorise *any*
MTA to act on my behalf. Perhaps I'm a spammer, perhaps I have lots of
roaming users and can't be bothered fixing my system. This is my policy.

I say 0/0

This is the statement I wish to make. MARID must allow me to make a true
statement of my policy.

"What I like", i.e. what my *policy* *is*, is by definition the "most
accurate data", even if no mail ever comes from the vast majority of those
IPs.

If I'm required to make a false statement of my policy, or no statement,
*You* (the receiver) lose some information. I'm surprised that you'd wish
to throw this information away, I'd think that you could use it to help
decide to throw my mail away.