Re: missing submitter, was What Meng said

2004-08-11 10:36:15

There is a minor optimization noted that in the future, if SUBMITTER would
exactly match MAIL FROM, then SUBMITTER could be omitted.  I thought this
paragraph had the possibility for confusion written all over it, but
others wanted to leave it in.

I don't understand how an SMTP server is supposed to tell the difference
between a MAIL FROM that doesn't have SUBMITTER because it's the same as
the bounce address and a MAIL FROM that doesn't have SUBMITTER because it
doesn't implement SUBMITTER.

The EHLO response lets the server tell the client what extensions it
offers, but there's no way for the client to tell the server what
extensions it uses other than by using them.

I've never thought that SUBMITTER was useful, but this makes it both
useless and meaningless.  If it's going to be defined, at least define
it so it means something.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor