Re: DEPLOY - IPR on Sender-ID not sufficiently disclosed

2004-08-24 12:15:32

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 02:05:02PM -0400, Andrew Newton wrote:
On Aug 24, 2004, at 10:35 AM, Graham Murray wrote:

The licence terms have been disclosed, but
insufficient (almost no) information has been given on what the
claimed IPR covers.

Please reread:
http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg03495.html

Is it correct that the only phrases giving any hint of what is being
patented are:

  Both Sender ID: Authenticating E-mail <draft-ietf-marid-core-03.txt>
  and Purported Responsible Address in E-mail Messages
  <draft-ietf-marid-pra-00.txt> in combination.

Furthermore, I see a couple of checkboxes repeating what is in the pdf
document posted by Harry Katz and a lot of blank fields.

Is it correct that this means that Sender-ID itself as well as PRA are
patent pending by microsoft?

Does this also mean that in effect, large parts of the spf syntax are
now microsofts property or will be so in the near future?

I don't see how the post you mentioned clarifies anything. It only adds
to the concern.

Koen Martens

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.