Re: In support of Sender ID

2004-09-03 14:47:54

At 01:25 PM 9/3/2004, Mark C. Langston wrote:

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 12:16:44PM -0500, Ryan Malayter wrote:

> [Mark C. Langston]
> > Could we perhaps dispense with the corporate (particularly executive)
> > endorsement posts for Sender-ID?  I thought people in the IETF
> > represented themselves.  The few times I've seen products
> > mentioned, it was by the /developers/ of said products.
> >

> We are all posting as individuals

I quote from the most recent instance of this behavior, to which I
responded:

"As a supporter of both commercial and opensource software models,
Cloudmark does not see any issue with the Sender ID IPR license with"

US corporate law not withstanding, Cloudmark is not an individual.

Should Cloudmark wish to have its representatives/employees active in the IETF explain why they feel Sender ID is the best solution on technical merit, that MIGHT be appropriate. The statement posted, however, is NOT useful input to the IETF process.

Folks, we ALL want to find a solution to this mess, but there is a REAL need to find a solution that can be deployed by all types of organizations worldwide. That really implies it needs to be unencumbered to the greatest extent possible.

Anyone or any company truly committed to the goal of dealing with spam should put that goal ahead of profit or legal protection. I do understand defensive patents. They are used acceptably without problematic license terms by many.

I will not deploy Sender ID based on the legal issue. Since I happen to run a hosting company, it follows that my company also will not deploy the technology. As an individual participant in the IETF process, my reasons for deploying or not deploying a technology are based on technical merit first, and sadly of late on licensing terms for use of the IPR behind that technology.

On technology grounds, we are planning to remove all SPF records from domains we host, due to significant issues seen with that technology. We do not use SPF on incoming mail ourselves to validate anything yet. We have had troubles with email delivery that resulted from the presence of SPF records, and after analysis are unsure SPF or Sender ID will have a net positive impact on the Internet.