RE: Protocol next steps

2003-04-02 17:41:20
Dear Abbie,
My Franglish tells me that processing a service is to run the program which delivers the service. Not to remotly filter requests for that service (which may abort, not be delivered, be negociated) through dispatch rules.

Also, that a server may only participate into providing a service. My understanding is therefore - but again it is based upon a non native understanding of the language - that an OPES processor is the called-out system of servers providing the service.

Example: the Root Server System is the DNS root service processor called out by the ISP's resolver, after it acted as a dispatcher checking on its cached addresses. The DNS being a distributed OPES modifying the http/smtp flow adding an IP address where the user has only entered an URL. I would hardly say that the resolver is the DNS processor vs Name Servers.

jfc