RE: Way Forward

2000-08-02 11:40:58
I would like to add that RFC 2630 states that future versions will support OAEP. It says (in the security considerations section):

   An updated version of PKCS #1 has been published, PKCS #1 Version 2.0
   [NEWPKCS#1].  This new document will supersede RFC 2313.  PKCS #1
   Version 2.0 preserves support for the encryption padding format
   defined in PKCS #1 Version 1.5 [PKCS#1], and it also defines a new
   alternative.  To resolve the adaptive chosen ciphertext
   vulnerability, the PKCS #1 Version 2.0 specifies and recommends use
   of Optimal Asymmetric Encryption Padding (OAEP) when RSA encryption
   is used to provide confidentiality.  Designers of protocols and
   systems employing CMS for interactive environments should either
   consider usage of OAEP, or should ensure that information which could
   reveal the success or failure of attempted PKCS #1 Version 1.5
   decryption operations is not provided.  Support for OAEP will likely
   be added to a future version of the CMS specification.

Russ