Re: Way Forward

2000-08-02 10:20:05
Hi folks,

As Russ points out, there are applications of S/MIME where the known chosen
ciphertext attack
on PKCS 1 encryption is applicable.

However I believe the more significant threat is that academic cryptographers
have largely
stopped looking at PKCS 1 encryption because they view it as broken from a
theoretical viewpoint.
I think this means that the risk that someone will come up with an improved
attack (or already knows
a better attack but is not publicizing it) is significant.

I'd like to raise the opinions above as an objection to increasing the
endorsement by the S/MIME
WG of PKCS 1 encryption and would prefer to see the use of OAEP encouraged.

Best regards. Simon

Eric Rescorla <ekr(_at_)speedy(_dot_)rtfm(_dot_)com> on 08/01/2000 05:18:45 PM

Please respond to EKR <rescorla(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com>