Re: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-email-envelope-00.txt

2004-01-24 13:47:36

John -- I'm glad to hear that you see this as part of a larger effort. I am certainly not opposed to incrementalism wherever possible, it just wasn't clear to me from this particular document, out of context, how it fit.

For my part, I think I might slice the problem a bit differently, but I might be wrong. So I'd like to see our efforts start with some requirements analysis. If we're going to build email NG, we need to make some decisions about what the goals are and then try to cut it off, rather than let it grow indefinitely as we're trying to make progress.

I've already suggested the following key goals:

        -- internationalization, esp. of addresses
        -- enhanced tracing mechanisms
-- binary transport (But what I really mean by binary transport is probably "deprecation of historical cruft," e.g. Content-Transfer-Encoding shouldn't be necessary where the extensions are used.)

I also think that there's enormous potential in generalizing and standardizing the kind of structured local-parts that people currently use "+" for. And on and on. The list of possible additions is fairly large, I'd like to have at least a rough consensus before we put a lot of work into documents. -- Nathaniel