Re: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-email-envelope-00.txt

2004-01-23 18:28:20

The proposal does not really address "cleaner" or "more detailed" message
routing data or define standards for it. What it does is to separate the
actual message from the routing/envelope/trace data being added by mail
servers while the message is in transit. Additional proposals would have
to build on this one to define more trace data or more information about
message routing, etc.

One possible benefit is that mail filtering systems would be able to deny
message or bounce it if data is not acceptable to it (not properly signed,
bad origin, etc). This has certain processing/bandwidth benefits as
message would not have had to be processed or tranmitted in full (and then
bounced back to "envelope-from" address which may not even exist) and
could be bounced immediatly oe possibly certain authentication data could
be requested and immediatly check on.

In general to other remarks I have to agree, it is not perfectly clear if
its better to add number of additional extensions that may solve (close
holes) in current email transport system or if its better to just design
new mail transport protocol all together. However it maybe of benefit to
everybody if we work on both approaches at the same time for now and
decide what is better in the future (several prcidents to that - CRISP has
worked on both FIRS/LDAP and IRIS/XML variants; LEMONADE is working on
extensions for IMAP to do both do remote mail editing & submission and
different approach to reference parts of imap message in message being
submitted direct from end-user computer)