Re: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-email-envelope-00.txt

2004-01-25 17:59:57

First of all end-users would not care much what protocol it is when
"you've got mail" pops up.

No, but they might care about having email work more reliably.

And for designers, programmers, and quicker implementation its quite a bit better if new protocol and old one share certain components. For example MIME encoding/decoding, etc. It would faciliate process if protocol can be implemented on same mail server software that would be able to decide based on certain dns or other parameters what protocol to use when sending
email to the other end.

Yes that's why I would consider running both protocols on the same port.

On the other hand if the new protocol were designed well then there would be less need to share components. For instance if all mail were binary transparent and delivered directly from the sender's submission server to the recipient's message store (which is close to what you need for reliable error reporting) there would be not be as much need for such an MTA to encode or decode MIME.

And look at the example of IPv4 vs IPv6 - IPv6. While there are substantial improvements in features available with IPv6, as far as implementation and
design and application programmings, its not that different.

Not at first glance. But for a variety of reasons (e.g. address scoping and new kinds of hosts) I suspect we'll end up programming differently in IPv6 than in IPv4.