Re: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-email-envelope-00.txt

2004-01-25 23:35:40

Don't wish to insult anyone with the obvious but here some points we should
keep in mind when considering revamping SMTP.

1) "worthy new solutions" are those that best address real problems.  While
there will also be a market where needless change is performed ("latest toy
syndrome"),  in general, costly revamps become more feasible for
consideration when they provide major benefits.

2) Consideration is enhanced when new functional specs include well outlined
migration, acceptance and deployment plans, ideally including or referencing
source code examples and/or API, SDK tools to help the migration process.

3) Responsive vendors will help the process by making the "conversion"
process easier via their software, and lastly

4) Where there is a market for change, a tertiary market of tools (proxies,
middle ware, APIs) will be made available to address legacy software and/or
provide easier development and migration.

In short, "lets not fear change"

Also, consider Yahoo's plan for implementing their YDK (Yahoo Domain Keys)
proposal.  According to recent cyber news,  Yahoo has said they are going to
modify open source mail servers (I believe they mentioned sendmail and
qmail) to implement their YDK  and according them, plan to release it when
it all send and done.   I am seriously interested what others think about
this.

Thanks

http://www.santronics.com