Re: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-email-envelope-00.txt

2004-01-25 21:01:41

I an idea we work on is to keep SMTP as it is, and use it for mail signaling (weemail). The interest is that nothing is to be changed except to modify slightly the user agent and develop a new agent - a store and retrieve mail server which may also be used as a gateway between the current and the new system. The "you've got mail" is then not refering to a piece of junk with emebeded virus you have been forfced to accept into your computer and spend bandwidth for, but to a file of any kind you can chose to disregard and leave on the sender's server or read totally or in part, etc.

This does not kill spam as there are ways to fake a server. But it makes wild spam far more complex and drastically reduces the bandwidth usage.

The possibilties it easily allows, like dynamic distribution lists, also permits to prioritize the reader interest and to leave the spam at the bottom of the basket. Mail URLs also allows to more easily hunt for known spam or to disregard known commercial sources - or already read posts.

It is there quite easy to use 0-Z numbering to name LHS and to have a resolution system into any vernacular (ML, menus, emoticon, etc.).
jfc