Re: Has the IETF dropped the ball?

2005-03-10 12:04:57

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Bruce Lilly wrote:
On Thu March 10 2005 13:31, Tony Finch wrote:

It won't solve the spam problem either; in fact it'll just make the
spammer's job easier. Instead of wading through a load of spam messages,
recipients will have to wade through a load of spam message notifications.

I believe you are making unwarranted assumptions about a non-existent
design of an unspecified protocol.

Maybe about the details, but my main point stands. Throwing away SMTP and
starting again (with IM2000, or with RSS) will not solve the spam problem:
it will just move it about. (I say RSS because of Andy Newton's blog:
http://hxr.us/blojsom/blog/grumpops/) Spam is an inevitable consequence of
accepting communication from people you don't already know.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: EAST OR NORTHEAST 4, OCCASIONALLY 5 IN WEST, BECOMING VARIABLE 4.