Re: Has the IETF dropped the ball?

2005-03-10 13:09:16

It's been proposed in a few different forums by a number of different people. Each version has had the problems that Tony Finch noted. I think the most recent example of this idea was posted to the ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org list about 3 months ago. (No, I'm not going to go looking for it.) There was a similar proposal at the FTC summit (patent pending, no less!) last fall.

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com

Bruce Lilly wrote:
A two-stage transfer whereby the message stays on the sender's host
until retrieved by the recipient (who is sent some sort of
notification that a message is pending) [such as one of Bernstein's
schemes] might balance the desires of sender and recipient.
However, that would be an entirely new architecture, has some
serious drawbacks for mobile users and other users w/o full-time
connectivity, and has not (to my knowledge) been written up even
in draft form.

I believe you are making unwarranted assumptions about a non-existent
design of an unspecified protocol.