Re: Virtual last call on "bounce"

2005-09-11 09:25:41

The wind seems to be blowing in the direction of removing the
term "bounce" from 2821bis.  Different people have different
reasons, but I don't think I've detected anyone who has claimed
that there is value in leaving it in.

All things being relative, the question is what term to use in its stead.

I suggest:  return address.

It is precise, accurate, correlates with a common, non-electronic term, and already has substantial use within the community.

The only argument in favor of retaining 'bounce' is historical usage, but that's the kind of thinking that makes things never change...

--

  d/

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking