Re: Virtual last call on "bounce"

2005-09-11 04:31:39

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 03:16:05AM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

The wind seems to be blowing in the direction of removing the
term "bounce" from 2821bis.  Different people have different
reasons, but I don't think I've detected anyone who has claimed
that there is value in leaving it in.

I think one of the following actions is needed:

a) remove it entirely
b) Acknowledge the fact (by saying so in the RFC) that people use it
   for different things and therefore had to be removed.  Bounce is
   thus described only once, all other places where it was mentioned
   need to be removed
c) use it to describe reject (5xx) only, as it was in 821
d) use it to describe NDN only, and make it clear this differs from
   what 821 had to say about it

As it is now, there is indeed no value for leaving it in.

Alex