Re: 2821bis consideration - New 2nd attempt Retry Strategy recommendation

2007-11-15 17:35:13

Hi Glen,

Thats certainly possible. But just to be clear, I wasn't referring to the GL blocking delays, but the outbound sending retry frequency.

The facts are real: GL systems exist and growing every day. So even if a system is not interested in implementing it on the receiving side, there is a delayed delivery impact due to the increasing odds of hitting a remote GL compliant receiver. A shorted 2nd attempt will minimize this impact.

I personally think your GL block of 25 minutes is too high for most systems with a higher expectation of business or customer transactions.

But thats ok? It works for you. :-)

Hmmmm, I wonder if there could be an algoritm or heuristic to make the block time variable too based on who is the sender? But I do think the beauty of GL is that it treats all anonymous senders the same.

--
HLS

Glenn Anderson wrote:

I recommend a 5 min retry on the 2nd attempt, with a fall back to their normal interval after that.

My MTA has a default graylisting delay of 25 minutes. 25 minutes was chosen because it wouldn't unnecessarily delay for hosts that use the recommended 30 minute retry, and because at the time I saw a significant number of what appeared to be bots that were retrying 5 times 5 minutes apart (~20 minutes between the first and last retry).

Glenn.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO