Re: 2821bis consideration - New 2nd attempt Retry Strategy recommendation

2007-11-16 08:22:11

Hi SM,

Isn't the z digit in x5z is undefined? The 1st paragraph, last sentence in 4.2.1, says:

   "The third digit and any supplemental information that may be
   present is reserved for the finest gradation of information."

I see the example literal text for 451 says "processing error", but the literals are meaningless to SMTP. Offer no flow control logic. Right?

Yes, I agree, it would ideal if a special code can be detected.  Hmmm,
the Greylist specs shows  a 4.7.1 extended code:

      451 4.7.1 Please try again later

      http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/whitepaper.html

We use the 5 minute 2nd retry interval because anything else is deemed too long for these deliberate 1st time only rejects - an action that should not occur under normal circumstances. I have not seen or heard of any negative impact due to a shorter 2nd retry interval. But there were an awful amount of reports from confused operators before we added the variable frequency table to address the increasing hits on remote GL systems.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com