Re: There is at least one email server without MX RR but AAAA RR we all know

2008-04-04 15:05:44

At 21:09 +0200 on 04/04/2008, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote about Re: There is at least one email server without MX RR but AA:

You could say that the problem is that the host can be on the RHS of an
email address anyway, and when it is, it kind of works but quite often
it doesn't really work (because DSNs would be lost and other fringe
problems). Earlier this week I found that about half of the MX-but-no-A
domains in a sample of 30,000 recent nonspam messages weren't
deliverable.

Arnt

That is a configuration error in that the MX does not point at a MTA that is willing to accept the message.

Going FQDN MX does NOT require FQDN on the RHS (or a FQDN A record) but only one or more FQDNXs on the RHS who are willing to accept the email (and have A and/or AAAA records).